Saturday, May 17, 2008

Hate Speech

There are a number of offensive words in Vietnamese. Some examples are:

Di chet di (go kill yourself) , cha (dad) or me (mom), do quy (evil), do ngu (stupid), do khung (mad).

This is, she informed me, merely a short list, and she could have gone on, but I did not think an exhaustive list was required.

Like in the United States, using these towards a close friend in a joking manner is often acceptable, but even then they have to be careful to ensure it isn't misconstrued. Typically, hateful speech is not directed at other groups, and is mostly used within the Vietnamese culture between individuals who dislike each other.

Hate speech is not protected speech, and is prohibited in schools, but she does not think the government has ever prosecuted anyone for using it. Rather, it's typically the family who punishes a person for using it out of an acceptable context, and generally by less educated families.

1 comment:

ANDRAINO ADAMS said...

Good articles, Have you heard of Mr Benjamin, Email: 247officedept@gmail.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740-- who work with funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.